It was my neighbourhood association‘s annual Streetfest last weekend. Excellent turnout. People connecting. Conversation. Having fun. No rain! And, gifts galore… locals sharing their time, talents, and community spirit.
Many of those things that make for a healthy neighbourhood were there, all orchestrated by neighbours, volunteering, including:
- Food; donated, baked, cornucopia
- Music; DJ, musicians, musical activity
- Neighbourhood school; Victoria College of Art
- Neighbourhood partner; Threshold Housing Society (transitional housing for youth)
- Neighbourhood businesses; e.g., including one of my faves, Ten Thousand Villages
- Kids (and adults) activities; many
- Local dance troupe; Victoria Capoeira School
- Dogs on parade; emotional intelligence!
- Neighbourhood Asset Map; showing where the gifts are
- Blocking off the street; even if just for a day, a good thing (though much of the activity was in an adjacent park something about grass is nice, too!)
“A life well lived is one in which we each find an opportunity to give our gifts rather than to have our needs met.” (Margaret Wheatley, Deborah Frieze in Walk Out, Walk On)
How does your neighbourhood share its’ gifts? What’s your Streetfest?