I cut my conflict management teeth on the work of Dr. Roger Fisher. His book, Getting to Yes, co-authored with William Ury, and first published in 1981, is the seminal book on interest-based negotiation theory and practice. Dr. Fisher died this week. He is a legend in the conflict resolution community. His legacy includes the still vital Harvard Program on Negotiation.
I plucked a few quotes, from Dr. Fisher, from the video. They give a sense of the man
- on seperating people from the problem: need to deal with the human dimension independent of their particular point of view.
- on connecting with the other: one of the critical things (in negotiation & conflict management) is building rapport.
- on human touch: most of the world cares about the human being than the resume.
- on negotiation philosophy: would like to make it (negotiation) as human as we can.
- on collaboration: I want people working together, side-by-side as colleagues; let’s get this problem on the table and see what we can do about it.
Thank you Dr. Fisher. May you RIP.