According John McKnight and Peter Block, “community” is a general term to describe what occurs outside systems and institutions. It also refers to an aggregation of people or neighbourhoods that have something in common.
… and (from John and Peter), characteristic of “community connectors” are people who are:
- Gift centred; see the positive, the half full, in everyone;
- Well connected themselves, in associational and civic life;
- Trusted by others, and know how to create new trusting relationships;
- Believe in the people in their community, and
- Get joy from connecting, convening, and inviting people to come together.
Over the next several weeks, I plan to give a shout out, on this blog, to a few of my local, community connectors, and maybe one or two from afar, too.