Are these your challenges?
- Skills gaps: communications? collaboration? conflict management?
- Destructive behaviours are making for a toxic workplace?
- Need resolution of a business dispute?
- Departments are operating in silos?
- Labour-management relations are poor?
- Implementing a respectful workplace is a culture shift for your people?
Here’s how I can help you:
Conflict Management Coaching
Workplace conflict is inevitable. Resolve it cost-effectively by improving self-awareness.
Conflict competent leadership is a cornerstone for collaboration success. Using the Conflict Dynamics Profile ® assessment instrument, I help individuals increase awareness of their ‘hot buttons’ and conflict behaviours, and develop personalized conflict management action plans.
Training / Professional Development
Communications, collaboration and conflict management skills are vital to early resolution of disputes and conflicts, and key to collaborative problem solving. I coach individuals and facilitate group workshops and webinars, to teach those skills.
Commercial Mediation (b2b, b2c)
As a commercial mediator, I help businesses resolve disputes, business-to-business and/or business-to-customer. I use an interest-based approach; enabling disputing parties to safely discuss issues that matter, identify solution options, and reach mutual agreement on how to resolve their differences. Mediation is a cost-effective, empowering way to resolve differences. Mediation is confidential.
Here are case studies of three mediations I conducted. Read through these to get a sense of how the mediation process works.
- Mediation of a construction dispute
- Mediation of a telco/customer dispute
- Online Mediation of a high tech dispute
Workplace Conflict Management & Collaboration
The ability to manage conflict effectively gives you a strategic business advantage.
When the workplace becomes toxic, I can help restore a respectful, healthy and productive work environment. Working with you, I conduct a Workplace Conflict Assessment; to analyze your current situation, and provide recommendations, going forward.
As a Certified Workplace Fairness Analyst, I have access to, and employ, a range of conflict management systems analysis tools, developed by the Workplace Fairness Institute.
I help businesses implement ‘respectful workplace’ practices. Here’s a checklist of those practices.
I worked many years in the information systems consulting field; planning, designing implementing, and supporting large corporate work systems. I’ve retained the best processes and tools from those experiences.
Here’s my checklist for the collaborative organization. Are you on-board?
My Conflict Management Credentials
- As a commercial mediator, resolved 600+ workplace and community disputes.
- Online mediator with e-bay, Consumer Protection BC.
- Mentor to 25 mediators in the BC Court Mediation Practicum Program.
- Conflict management consultant to SMEs, governments and nonprofits.
- Dispute Resolution advisor to multiple BC Government online dispute resolution systems initiatives.
- Facilitator of cross-cultural conflict management workshops for Inter-Cultural Association of Greater Victoria
- Curated an online publication; Canadian Mediators Weekly.
- Facilitator of conflict management professional’s community-of-practice Twitter chats.
- Restorative justice facilitator; with Canada Parole Board, Victoria Restorative Justice.
- Certified Workplace Fairness Analyst with the Workplace Fairness Institute.
- Certified in Conflict Dynamics Profile® assessment instrument.
- Member of the BC Mediator Roster (since 2003).
- Workshop Facilitator; for Mediate BC, Law Society of BC, business associations.
- Speaker; at conflict resolution conferences in Seattle, New Orleans, National Association for Community Mediation (USA webinar).
- Collaboration consultant to the Vancouver Foundation.
- Facilitator of global virtual projects teams, working on corporate innovation challenges, with IdeaConnection.com.
- Volunteer Advisor on international assignments with the Canadian Executive Service Organization.
- 15 years as a business analyst and project manager with international consulting firms, Accenture and Sierra Systems.
- Project manager on civil engineering construction projects.
Benefits of my services
- Manages conflict
- Promotes workplace health and wellness
- Enhances organizational image
- Attracts/retains quality staff
- Improves employee engagement, loyalty, and productivity
- Saves money
- Consistency of treatment; i.e., “fairness”
- Meets legislative requirements
- Services provided in-person and/or online
“Ben is very conscientious, always prepared, very friendly, good with people, and I recommend him as a mediator in pretty much any civil dispute.” Lee Turnbull, Senior Advisor, Mediate BC
“Ben was on the Board of Directors of the Values-Based Business Network for several years and his mediator’s approach was an important contribution to the board. At one point, we had an “angry” contractor and Ben handled the situation smoothly and professionally, leaving all sides satisfied with the outcome.”, Alan Dolan, (Past) Chair, Values-Based Business Network (Victoria)
“I hired Ben as a project manager for a high risk, many-faceted project. His attention to detail, realistic approach and consultative manner gave this project the boost it needed. I would hire him again unreservedly.” Pam Wilkins, British Columbia Government
“Ben is a creative thinker and blogger. In the Philippines, he pulled off a tricky assignment with CESO when he photographed, videotaped and interviewed people for a blog. His positive messages, actions and collaborative approach demonstrated how to work with others in projects here and abroad. ” Alex Gillis, (former) Communications and Public Engagement Manager, Canadian Executive Service Organization
“Ben resides at the intersection of dispute resolution and social technologies. He brings to his work a refreshing combination of professionalism, sincere personal engagement, and an infectious passion for connecting people and ideas. Working with Ben was a rewarding, enjoyable experience. I look forward to following his exciting work and continuing to connect both on and offline.” Justin Corbett, Executive Director at National Association For Community Mediation
“Ben conducted an educational workshop on Conflict Mediation for Chamber members as part of our Business Education Series. Participants report that he expertly communicated key issues, providing concrete tools for them to take away while inspiring with fresh perspectives. He is a pleasure to work with – reliable and professional. Well done Ben!” Sarah Mitchell, Event Manager at Greater Victoria Chamber of Commerce
My mediation fee is $150/hour. Mediation fees are typically shared between the parties.
My coaching and consulting fee is $125/hour.
Workshops are $1200/day.
Work With Me
Call me for a free consultation; at 1-250-516-3936. Or, fill out the Contact form, and I’ll get back to you within 24 hours.